Friday, July 24, 2009

Graham Crackers and Frosting

My son eats sooo much!


I run out of snacks for the kids in no time, and instead of trying to buy more and more (gotta keep in the budget), I've decided to find and try recipes for things I would normally buy.
For months, I've been following "Edible Happiness" written by a woman named Angie. Her precursor to "Edible Happiness" is "Eat To Health" which is where I found this recipe for Graham Crackers. I was a little wary at first, but after trying them, I don't ever want to buy graham crackers again! They were so good!

Graham Crackers

1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 cup oat flour (made by putting your oatmeal in blender until smooth)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons honey
Sift flours and add soda into mixing bowl. Heat butter, honey, and milk until melted. Pour into dry ingredients and stir until smooth.
Place dough in a greased cookie sheet. Roll out dough until even and smooth.

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes
She uses soy milk, but I didn't. I actually had oatmeal flour on hand because when Danny bought me a wheat grinder for Christmas two year ago, I didn't have any wheat to grind. So I ground up some oatmeal. It took forever. I think I'll go with the blender method next time! Before putting them in the oven, I "scored" where I wanted to cut them. When they came out, I immediately cut them where my score marks were. As they cooled, they hardened and were harder to cut, so I was glad I cut when I did.


They seemed a little crumbly right at first, but after they cooled off, they weren't at all.

Growing up, my mom always made us graham crackers with frosting. So I did the same last night. But the graham crackers were good enough on their own! We didn't use hardly any of the frosting.

Decorator's Frosting

2/3 C. Shortening
4 C. sifted Powdered Sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 Tablespoons milk
Food Coloring

I a medium mixing bowl, cream shortening. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and enough milk for desired consistency; beat until smooth and well blended. Thin with a few drops of milk, if necessary.

Be really careful with the milk. Start by adding hardly any and slowly build up. A little bit will go a long way.

And I never sift anything. Ever.

Also, when a recipe is posted, remember to label it at the bottom of the "Compose" box. That way, it will show up on the sidebar with the rest of the recipes in it's category. All of these recipes are too amazing to be buried in the archives!!

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I am glad you liked the pumpkin waffles! I've been wanting to make graham crackers for a while and I'm glad to find a recipe that doesn't use graham flour! Do you know if I can run this through a pasta maker to get it nice and thin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know! I'm sorry! I've never owned a pasta maker, so I have no idea. You could try it and then let me know if it works, though!

    ReplyDelete